Josef Danhauser, Liszt at the piano (1840). Commissioned by the Viennese piano maker Conrad Graf, following a series of concerts that Liszt gave in Vienna to raise money for the Beethoven monument in Bonn. The painting was made on a wooden panel from Graf’s factory.
From left to right are Alexandre Dumas père, Victor Hugo, George Sand, Nicolo Paganini, Gioacchino Rossini, Franz Liszt, and Marie d’Agoult. Byron’s portrait hangs on the wall behind them, and Anton Dietrich’s bust of Beethoven sits on the piano’s lid.